Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Admitting to Error in Judgment

Recently I sent an attempt at making light on Don Young's recent reckless words regarding those in congress opposing the war in Iraq.

Upon reflection, I see I allowed myself to get sucked in to lowering my standards for political discourse.

Don Young used the word execute and in trying to be clever I echoed his language. I tried for tongue-in-cheek but looking back this was a mistake.

As a long-standing opponent of the death penalty and a person dedicated to ending the war in Iraq, “playing” with such words is just plain wrong.

I apologize if I encouraged anyone to go down the low road. The high road to peace is traveled by respecting the sacredness of life. The biggest challenge in life is maintaining our principles, especially in regard to those with whom we most disagree, like one of our very own politicians.

We have a long struggle ahead of us as we try to build a more peaceful world. Let us not provide those who disagree with us any examples of poor judgment.

Note: I have written in the past about whether stuff talked about on the internet or on the phone is monitored. It may just be a coincidence, but on Sunday (after the posting discussed above) while talking on my cell phone, I heard a strange echo that I had never heard before. It probably was nothing, but we should assume that the communications amongst the political opposition might be monitored. I hope I am not suffering from grandiose thinking about anybody caring about what I have to say. However, at least for karma’s sake, I encourage everyone to keep to our high standards of thought and action.

No comments: